Friday, June 13, 2014

How to Write a Hymn

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9uFNWEUqYHiU2FXdkxpUjVHOVU/edit

Above is a link to a document that gives one step-by-step method for writing a hymn. This is not The Way, the right way, or any type of way. When someone asked me, "How do you write your own hymns?" I answered, "I don't know." Then I thought through some steps that look kind-of like what my brain, heart and spirit are doing when they write lyrics.

Before "how," one may ask, "Why?" Speaking only for myself, this has been a helpful skill. Often, I cannot find the exact right song for the right occasion -- especially considering my pickiness about imagery and language! (Please note that new hymn lyrics do not replace the hymns of our forebears nor do they preempt more recent styles of worship music. There's room for all of the above.) Here is an example, which is a hymn in common meter that we sing to the public domain tune of "Amazing Grace" (NEW BRITAIN). It was sung last year at our Football Chapel services, during which the team met to focus and center themselves.

-->
In gratitude, we come to you, our mighty, gracious God,
to honor every gift you give as on this road we trod.

We gather now to offer up the best we have to share,
in unity, in excellence, and in each other’s care.

God, grant us strength to overcome each struggle and each doubt,
yet keep us mindful of your help when joyfully we shout.


No comments: